Things You Need to Know About Working with HDPE Sheets.
The most used plastic sheeting internationally, High-density polyethylene (HDPE sheets) is a pretty remarkable resource. It’s used to make almost anything from walls/construction to toys.
Before starting, here are things you need to know about working with HDPE.
Fastening & cutting
- HDPE sheets, such as 4×8 HDPE sheets, need to be fastened with a screw, plastic rivet, or nail. HDPE is strong, but luckily it’s nothing a good power drill and a steady hand can’t overcome.
- HDPE sheets can be cut or drilled the same way you would wood.
- HDPE sheets cannot be glued to itself or other materials as there are expansion and contraction of the material as it adjusts to temperature and its environment. If you use glue on HDPE sheets, it will break away from the plastic and not stick.
Can you paint HDPE sheets?
- For the same reason listed above, HDPE sheets cannot be painted.
- We will color match the sheets, you just provide the color swatch. The minimum per color is 3K lbs.
HDPE sheet attributes
- HDPE is also very slick and slippery so avoid walking on the material and do not use it as a traffic surface unless you’ve used the appropriate safety measures.
- You can use HDPE for many quirky uses so get creative. You can even write your ideas and project plans on your HDPE sheets like a dry erase board.
- Extreme temperatures will not make HDPE crack or break
- HDPE is famous for being very rigid, but it’s not brittle. It won’t break when bent with two hands or the average tool – even if the Hulk were to give it a try.
- If we’re making HDPE sound too rigid for your project in mind, the thinner sizes are flexible and can be worked into whichever shape or size you require.
- HDPE comes in solid sheets of material. It’s 100% high-density polyethylene without any fillers.
- Thanks to the growing sustainability movement among most industries, the market for HDPE sheets continues to grow due to it being 100% recycled, thus doing our part to “complete the loop” with fewer materials needed.
- There is no set use for HDPE sheets. You can use it for bird boxes to concrete forms to skateboard ramps to hog pens; It is a very universal product.
Interested in learning more about getting your specifics down for your next project using HDPE sheets?